Does Carbon Monoxide Rise
If you’re wondering, does carbon monoxide rise, you are not alone. Many people ask this question every day, because carbon monoxide is a dangerous gas and they want to be sure that they and their family are safe and so they need to know where to place a carbon monoxide monitor to detect any problem as quickly as possible.
What Is Carbon Monoxide
This gas is produced by incomplete burning of fuel, like coal, oil or gas. Normal combustion of these fuels is fine but if there is not enough oxygen being used in the burning, or the chimney or exhaust is blocked, then the amounts of carbon monoxide can build up to dangerous levels. It has a chemical formula of CO – one carbon atom to one oxygen atom.
Carbon monoxide is a colorless, tasteless and odorless gas, which means that you cannot detect it by yourself, as you cannot smell it, see it or taste it, even if it is present in lethal quantities. It has a nickname of the “silent killer” because people often go to sleep, feeling drowsy and never wake up. This means you need a monitor or detector to detect it and it is important to place that monitor in the correct place to detect this gas. These detectors are usually easy to use and affordable.
The possibility of producing this gas means that you must have a competent installer to put in any new or refurbished heating or cooking appliances and they must also be inspected regularly by a competent technician or engineer.
Signs Of Carbon Monoxide Exposure
Carbon monoxide poisoning can lead to respiratory problems, including asphyxiation, within hours of being in the building or even faster depending on the level of gas. Without a monitor, carbon monoxide levels in the air are often undetectable until someone begins to show signs of physical illness and by then it may be too late. Carbon monoxide poisoning could lead to brain damage and death in a very short period of time, if not detected and addressed.
Symptoms can include headache, dizziness, nausea, convulsions and irregular heartbeat. At higher levels, the person may go straight to sleep and the heart will fail, leading to death. If you suspect that there is carbon monoxide in the air, get out of the room and let fresh air in. Make sure any appliance is turned off and then checked for safety.
How To Avoid Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
A Carbon Monoxide detector is a very affordable and easy to operate addition to your home’s protection system. The alarm will signal if there are high levels of carbon monoxide in your home or workplace, providing you with the early warning you need to escape the danger of this highly toxic gas. With a properly installed carbon monoxide detector, your safety will never be in question.
It is important to have any gas, coal, oil or other heating or cooking appliances checked regularly and tested, to ensure they are not producing carbon monoxide fumes.